A Soldier Coming Home - Heartwarming Story

As we near Memorial Day, a day set aside to commemorate U.S. men and women who have died while serving in our military armed forces, I'd like to share a story I first shared back in November of 2009.

Nov. 15, 2009:
So yesterday at my apartment community I got to see one of the most unexpectedly touching things. I have to share.
My asst manager, leasing agent and I were sitting in the office discussing the weather and deciding if we should postpone our clean up because of the rain. Just then a limousine pulls in to the main entrance.


We, of course, all gather at the window to see who is arriving or departing in a limo, in Queen Creek (not an everyday occurance) and we see a family of kids gathered on the sidewalk. I know these kids because they live with their grandparents. We have never met their Mom or Dad.
The limo driver exits the car and walks around to open the back door and out steps a soldier in his fatiques. I’m thinking, oh my goodness, that must be those kid’s Dad, he’s been away at war and we are about to witness his welcome home! I’m getting all choked up and excited and kicking myself for not grabbing my camera, when he starts to walk the opposite direction. What?

photo from soldiersangels.org
http://soldiersangels.org/index.phpmact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=290&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=15


As he starts to walk toward one of the buildings, we see the group of kids run after him. We can’t hear what they are saying, but he stops, turns around and they all walk toward each other. He bends down, shakes each of their hands, gives one a hug then waves and goes on.
I wanted to find out who he was, so I went out to catch the kids and ask them. Before I could even get out the door the kids are jumping up and down and and talking so fast I had to concentrate to hear one of them over the other, they were all so excited finally managing to ask me “Did you see that soldier?” He was in the war! He shook our hand!! Did you see? Did you see?” “We just wanted to tell him Thank you, but he even shook our hand!!”


It was the coolest thing. They were so excited to see and meet that soldier, you’d have thought they’d met their favorite celebrity. My heart was gleaming I was so proud of those kids! Now if only we could have known he was coming so we could have had a huge welcome home line.
 
But, man, I hope he was as touched as we were and I hope he felt like a hero! Our soldiers deserve to be revered, and I am pretty excited to see kids in our community with an appreciation for them in their hearts.


Yay for sweet unexpected showings of human kindness!

If you have a special story to share, please send it to my email using the email link icon on our blog front page. I would love to share them.

Thank you Veterans, and God Bless those who've lost loved ones who so admirably, gave their all, for each of us, help us to be deserving of their sacrafice.


If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit